Tuesday, April 4, 2017

C ~ Cookie Crisp Cereal

  A while back I had posted a picture of a certain kind of cereal I had made and though I had been planning on sharing the recipe a few days afterwards, I never got around to it and now that I'm sitting here at my computer facing the task of making my third A-Z post, I think it's as good a time as ever to share the recipe with you now.

  The reason I made this cereal in the first place is because one day after Diane was tired of always seeing me sitting down to the breakfast table with a bowl of my homemade cereal every morning she asked me if I would make homemade cereal for her too. I was only too happy to oblige since at that point in time I was really into spending hours in the kitchen making tedious foods that disappeared a hundred times faster than what they were made in.

  Anyway, to get back on track, here is the recipe I was left with after tweaking the original to meet my supplies and need for sanity (I was sane enough to dislike spending three hours rolling out tiny little balls of cereal so the following takes only about half an hour to an hour prep.)


Cookie Crisp Cereal

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cup vanilla cake mix
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil (I used parchment.)
Whisk together the flour, cake mix, and soda. In another bowl cream the butter, add sugars and beat well. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, just a quick note, depending on the cake mix that you use you might have to add a splash or two of milk to the mix to get the dough to be smooth, homemade cake mix is drier which made it necessary for me to use a little milk. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, scoop out little balls of dough and press lightly onto the baking sheet. The original recipe said to chill it in the fridge for an hour, but it was late already when I had started making the cereal so I skipped the step and it turned out fine.  Bake them for 10 minutes.

Cool and store in an airtight container. Serve as any normal cold breakfast cereal, or if you like you can grab a handful and eat them plain. Either option is delicious.

3 comments:

Hi there,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You just made my day!