Monday, January 14, 2019

The Highlights of 2018 - Part Two

  Today has to be one of the loveliest and sunniest days yet of this year (never mind the fact that it has only been two weeks) and so with the beautifully glistening snow outside my window to keep me company as I write, I shall set about creating another post.

  I left off after finishing the month of April so I shall pick up with May.

The Highlights of 2018 - Part Two

             May
  •  I practiced my parking skills
  • We finished school and entered summer break
  • I started a scripture writing challenge that I found on Pinterest
  • My sister Diane and our little brother Sean went splashing through our creek
  • Diane went to a cookout with her friends
  • I baked cupcakes for our homeschool group
  • I got an Instagram account
  • All of my friends were persuaded to play carpet ball with me
  • I decided to "wing" making a dress, including creating the pattern
  • I was gifted an adorable silver spoon
  • Mum picked up Downton Abbey at the library and I established a tea and movie time each week
  • I parked our vehicle successfully without hogging three spots (which is actually possible)
  • Mum and one of her friends had lunch dates and went walking (I tagged along once)
  • The home school group play was had and I said goodbye to the group for the last time
  • The dress I tried to "wing" sewing got stuffed into an unobtrusive corner in my closet
  • Dad and Eldon went to a lumber exposition 
  • Eldon officially got a girlfriend (who turned out to be my best friend from childhood)
  • Diane and I took up playing tennis
  • Eldon graduated from school
  • Eldon and I attended a folk music concert
            June
  • I accidentally ran into one of my best friends at the library
  • Eldon and I attended one of our friend's graduation party
  • All of us siblings learned how to play slapjack
  • Mum took us to a beautiful old graveyard where I held a frog that used my hands as its restroom
  • My family (excepting Eldon and I) went to a wedding of my Mum's brother
  • Eldon and I attended several youth events
  • My friend and I went walking and then made homemade donuts
  • One of Diane's friends came over to have a cupcake baking day
  • My family went exploring at Cooper's Rock (where us children bought some pretty quartz)
  • Eldon and his girlfriend and her brother and a friend and I all started hanging out on Sunday evenings
  • A giant white duck chased my family (and we were in a vehicle!)
  • We all went wild strawberry picking
  • We all tried kombucha for the first time and I decided it's delicious
  • One of my dear friends got married
  • One of my cousins asked Eldon and I to be table waiters at her upcoming wedding
  • I got a bank account
  • Mum, Diane, Sean, and I cleaned out our basement
  • My Dad treated us all to pizza
  • Diane and her best friend started having library days where they went to the library and then spent an afternoon together reading books and nibbling on snacks
  • I sent in an application to a transcription company
          July 
  • Dad took Diane, Sean, and I on a hike with the goal to reach a bridge where we would sit and watch trains pass underneath  
  • Eldon and I went to watch the fireworks in town with some friends
  • Dad and Eldon worked from home for a little while
  • Dad and Mum gave me a bouquet of roses just because they loved me (and they gave Diane a special gift as well)
  • The transcription company I applied for accepted me and I was enrolled in training (I wasn't given a job but depending on how training went I would become a transcriptionist)
  • My friend asked me to come over to her place where we stroked her cats, watched movies, and went berry picking 
  • My family went on a hike to a darling little covered bridge where the more adventurous of us walked over the wet rocks and crossed under the bridge (being careful not to get swept up in the waterfall)
  • My sister and I went raspberry picking 
  • We attended my cousin's wedding and I got to talk with all of my beloved cousins again 
  • We went back to school shopping
  • We butchered chickens (a most gruesome task no matter how informative or useful)
  • Dad played baseball with Diane, Sean, and I
  • I got to drive on a big road for the first time ever (the kind where you drive at an unholy speed whilst weaving among potential life threats)
  • My family attended the graduation party of Eldon's girlfriend and I baked cupcakes for the event
  • We started up school again
  • Mum bought happy planners for us all and so Diane, Mum, and I began planning
  • Diane and I watched our first opera, perhaps you've heard of Semiramide? 
  • I actually got to sit under a weeping willow tree as the sun set
            August
  •  I baked some sesame seed bread (my first enriched bread recipe ever aside from the disastrous brioche I once tried to create)
  • Mum made bunches of sweetcorn; so much that we were up to our ears in it (pun completely intended)
  • I was promoted in advance and became a full transcriptionist
  • Mum took us all to feed the ducks at the pond by our library (Sean was almost run over by the greedy little things)
  • One of Mum's brothers and his family stopped in for short visit
  • Mum and Dad had a date night at one of their favorite restaurants
  • Eldon became engaged
  • I met my Sunday school teachers at one of my favorite restaurants
  • Mum, Sean, Diane, and I went blackberry picking
  • My best friend and I went bike riding with her family
  • Eldon and his fiancee started having pizza nights with my family once a week
  • I finished reading through my whole Bible (it had been a goal)
  • We went to our country fair 
  • We watched bull riding (live) and I was thrilled when I found out that one of the bulls had been in the PBR
  • One of my good friends invited me over to her house where we chatted in a hammock (I love hammocks) and then baked cupcakes
  • Diane officially entered senior youth at our church after saying goodbye to junior youth
  • We went to the fair a second time and Dad gifted Diane and I with some money which we could spend on anything we pleased
  • We went to the Flight 93 memorial
  • Eldon's fiancee and her brother came over to play baseball like we used to back when we all little children
  • I was introduced to the books written by Harold Hill (some of the best books out there)

  The summer months were very busy for my entire family and even more precious memories were created. My desire for adventure was nourished and I enjoyed many delightful adventures both alone and accompanied by family. 

4 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading these posts because you have a flare for making the ordinary sound positively magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment for I appreciate it greatly! I hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the I-got-a-little-too-inventive sewing project... Look, can I just stuff some of mine in the closet with yours? Mine's getting a little crowded. �� Sigh.
    Yes to the freeway driving too! Weaving through potential fatalities is EXACTLY why I dislike it! Carpetball- we had to cave in and build our own table last spring. Even my 2-year-old is a dedicated fan. I bought one of Harold Hill's books on your mom's recommendation! I gave it to me for Christmas. �� What a great reminder of God's power - amazing stories! I've made some changes in my life and thinking.
    I enjoyed reading about the 2nd part of your year!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm envious; it's so nice that you actually built your own carpetball table! Thank you for your cheery comment and I hope you have a great week!

      Delete

Hi there,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You just made my day!