Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Highlights of 2018 - Part Three

  I'm back to finish up the highlights of my past year. It's been a lot of fun to be able to see all of the things that we were up to in 2018 and I can't wait to see what adventures 2019 holds for all of us.

  Without further ado I shall get right into September.


             September
  • We celebrated Labor Day with apple pie 
  • Sean and I raked the yard and he decided to be my leaf jumper (he squished the leaves into the tub we were using to carry the leaves by jumping all over the leaves as I scooped them in)
  • I requested a heap of books from the library - to quote from my diary - 
  • An adorable little hornet decided to rest in my curls 
  • I accidentally turned on my turn signals instead putting on my low beams as I passed someone on the road, I felt as if I had just added insult to injury
  • I got to listen to a speaker from Nicaragua
  • Eldon's fiancee came over several times just to hang out and enjoy dinner with us
  • I had a bit of a Dick van Dyke watching session
  • My driver's test was officially scheduled for October the 11th
  • Sean celebrated his stuffed bear's birthday and I even baked a tiny birthday cake for him
  • I drove rather adventurously through the fog to get to my Dad's workplace to deliver something he needed and ended up backing down the long lane to his shop due to my highly interesting driving skills
  • I began focusing more on practicing my parallel parking
  • I read some spin-off fairy tale books
  • We commemorated 9.11.
  • I spent an afternoon with one of my good friends
  • I got to listen to the very inspiring testimony of a young missionary at our church
  • Mum spent an afternoon with one of her good friends
  • I came to know of one of the greatest violinists in the U.S, a.k.a Brian King Joseph
  • Mum treated Sean, Diane, and I to a lunch at a hibachi grill and it was the greatest thing I've ever experienced in any restaurant
  • Eldon built a bunch of shelves for my Mum
  • I baked a bunch of recipes from Mary Berry's baking book


              October 
  •  Diane, Mum, and I cleaned out our vehicle 
  • Sean and I spent a lot of time raking the yard (especially picking the leaves out of our flowerbeds)
  • I read "The Book Jumper"
  • Eldon butchered a cow and hence provided our family with a bunch of meat
  • We bought a big freezer for our basement 
  • Diane and I got be part of the cleanup crew for a stand our church had provided in a festival
  • I practiced my driving a bit more in preparation for the big test day
  • Mum, Diane, and I varnished the shelves that Eldon and Dad built
  • I failed my driver's test (this was by no means a highlight in the month, it's only in this list because it was monumental)
  • I began practicing my parallel parking in earnest (my dear Dad set up a spot using buckets and upturned brooms until I learned to do so for myself)
  • My Aunt and Uncle came by for a short visit
  • Dear Eldon kindly helped me carry all of our lovely new shelves into us girls' room. 
  • I did a bunch of writing both in my book and as random scribblings in my journals
  • Diane accompanied Eldon and I for the first time to the senior youth gatherings at our church
  • All of my friend's took their driver's tests and passed at first try
  • My Dad helped me some more with my parallel parking practice (I took my practicing very seriously and did roughly fifteen hours of practice in prep for test take number two)
  • I got to meet a bunch of new people at church 
  • We gave our librarians some cupcakes 
  • I passed my driver's test and simultaneously had one of the best days in my entire life
  • Us womenfolk accompanied by Sean cleaned out our attic 


            November
  • I officially became an "adult" in the library's eyes
  • Eldon and his best friend hung out often to work on my brother's truck
  • My parents gifted me with an entire pint of the most delicious ice cream ever in celebration of me passing my driver's test (the ice cream was in the flavor of "Chubby Hubby" by Ben and Jerry's, in case you're wondering my parents totally bought it for me because the name amused them)
  • Daylight Savings time ended and it felt like we were all gifted with an extra hour of sleep
  • One of my best friends came over to spend a fun day going on walks, talking, and eating brownies
  • Diane and I discovered that it's impossible to speak Pennsylvania Dutch with a British accent but it is possible to speak it with a Russian or Italian accent
  • My friend pointed out the fact that the pillows on my bed are the exact shade of purple as Barney the dinosaur
  • Diane and I began making Christmas ornaments for our tree
  • Everyone began planning out presents and running secretive little shopping trips
  • Diane and I fell in love with Michael Bublé's Christmas music
  • I got hired by a sweet family from church to clean house once a week
  • My sister's friends visited her several times
  • I spotted a man in Walmart with his shopping cart full of fifteen heads of lettuce (and the man himself was rapidly filling up a third bag brimming with avocados) I so dearly would have liked to ask what his plans are for it
  • Mum made a fancy dinner just because
  • Diane and I watched "The Long Long Trailer"
  • We went to my Dad's parents' home to celebrate Thanksgiving with them and our relatives and Eldon's darling fiancee was kind enough to come along 
  • One of the librarian's and I realized we're both not Bob Ross in the slightest and we discussed our various art failures 
  • We set up our Christmas trees

            December
  • I baked a bunch so that I'd be able to contribute to the food department of Diane and Sean's group play
  • My family attended the home school play that Sean and Diane took part in 
  • One of my best friend's and I spent a day Christmas shopping and had quite the adventurous time of it
  • We got all of our Christmas gifts bought, created, and wrapped
  • We baked a bunch of cookies and Christmas treats
  • Eldon took me out for a fun evening of perusing stores and then treated me at a restaurant 
  • We went to the library quite often and Diane's stacks of books have officially become much taller than mine
  • Mum baked all of her traditional fruitcake
  • We celebrated my Dad's birthday
  • We celebrated Sean's birthday
  • Eldon's fiancee and our family had a bit of a Christmas exchange and pizza night
  • I had to do panicked shopping when I discovered one of my friends bought a Christmas gift for me and I had nothing in return as I was completely unprepared
  • I got to talk with very nice people that I met for the first time 
  • My siblings and I attended a lunch fundraiser at our church
  • My parents attended a Christmas party
  • The very kind wife of our landlord dropped in to celebrate Sean's birthday the day before
  • We celebrated Christmas Eve with good food, stories, and stuff 
  • We celebrated Christmas and was it ever a good one!
  • We ate our gingerbread houses in celebration of New Year's Eve

   And there you have it, or as the French say, voila. Our year was very long but you can tell it was rather full of lovely happenings. I always knew that life isn't measured by the greatest and grandest of occasions, but rather by the everyday moments. 

  While I was stressing over my upcoming driver's test my Dad told me something that can be applied to everything in life, not just getting a driver's license and I want to share it with you because once applied to life, everything becomes happier. I shall paraphrase it because it's far more applicable that way, otherwise it only applies to those ready to parallel park. "You can't always control every situation, but you can always pray and rejoice in everything."

  I hope your year is a wonderful and a happy one, and until my next post, fare thee well.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that driver's test! After much putting-it-off by one of my boys (fear of failure is strong stuff!), I convinced him that THEY WANT YOU TO PASS... assuming you really CAN drive, and he did it. Whew.
    Last year we got our 17-year-old through driver's ed, tested, and licensed, and our 15-year-old through level one of driver's ed. I think I spent my entire year driving kids to driver's ed, or providing "Mom's ed" while they drove! Still, one more license= SO worth it!!! Glad you got yours!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite an interesting year. Thank you so much for sharing it, it has been an interesting and enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You just made my day!