Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. On this first official day of spring tell us something (besides the weather) you're looking forward to in this season of the year.

  In a little less than a month one of my cousins is coming to visit us, and it's not just an afternoon pop-in, it's a little more than a week that he'll be here. In this massive and unpredictable world it's nice to have family.

2. When it comes to spring cleaning would you rather wash windows or wash baseboards? Clean out closets or clean out the garage? Dust ceiling fans or dust bookcases? Wipe down the patio furniture outside or wipe down the light fixtures inside? Any of these tasks recently completed?

  Just the very words "spring cleaning" make me sigh. I don't enjoy extreme cleaning unless it's a craft drawer or something, because then I discover all sorts of forgotten treasures. I would rather wash baseboards than windows, clean closets than garage, dust bookcases rather than ceiling fans, and I'd rather clean light fixtures on the inside than the patio furniture outside.

  Recently my mum, sister, and I started cleaning out our storage room. Because of that I've found myself cleaning baseboards, dusting bookcases, etc. 

3. Your favorite thing to make/eat that calls for cream cheese? Sour cream? Whipped cream?

  My favorite thing to eat that calls for cream cheese is cheesecake. We have a good friend who makes some of the best cheesecake I've ever eaten, she's the one who really got me into making cheesecake more than once a year. My favorite thing with sour cream? That's a hard question, I love to use it as a condiment for most things. And lastly, I prefer whipped cream on top of strawberry shortcake.

4. I read here a list of commonly mispronounced words. What is a word that gives you trouble when it comes to pronunciation?

  When I look at the pronunciations of words I take note of them but then still pronounce it how I please. When surrounded by non-family members I make sure to pronounce words to the best of my ability but otherwise I have fun...take chihuahua for example, that word is tons of fun to mispronounce.

  A word that gives me trouble when it comes to pronunciation is butylethylmethylamine. When studying my science recently I spent several minutes just trying to pronounce the word when I came across it.

5. What's a song you love with the word 'rain' in the title or lyrics?

   Several years ago I came across Mat Kearney's "Air I Breathe" song on Air1, I liked it quite a bit and even though it isn't really my favorite song anymore I'll still listen to it now and then, (I also like "Love Like Rain").

6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

  I love birds! My dad has always wanted to hang a bird feeder but with so many cats around we thought it was a dream that would never come true...until yesterday. I had a cereal around for awhile, it was a muesli, and being such it was full of oats and seeds and dried fruit. I liked it pretty well but it didn't make me feel the best. Yesterday after spotting a few birds in the back yard scratching around the snow, my dad and I both flung out a handful of cereal. I always feel so bad for the birds around here, they come back late February or early March expecting spring but all they find is snow, snow, and more snow. It brought joy to everyone in my family watching the birds eagerly eat the cereal, and because of all that, and the fact that the cats didn't really bother them, my dad hung a bird feeder and now we have whole passels (I'm aware that passel is not a very good word to use when describing a bunch of birds but I was in the mood to write it and so I did) of birds in the back yard.

10 comments:

  1. We really enjoy putting out seeds for the birds. We have three feeders right now - two with regular seed and one just for finch food. It is snowing hard at the moment (So much for the first day of spring, huh?) so we are besieged with blackbirds - grackles, starlings, etc.. They are God's creatures, but, goodness! They are such vultures, eating everything in sight and not leaving anything for the others. Well, once the snow melts, they'll be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why, but I love watching the greedy little birds munch away. I can hardly wait till all the snow melts but I'll miss seeing some of the birds around. Thank you for commenting and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. visiting from hodgepodge -- it is so much fun to watch the birds! I'm sure they appreciated the snack!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did enjoy the snack, it was heaps of fun to watch them. Thank you for taking the time to pop by and comment and I hope the rest of your week is a wonderful one!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your hodgepodge today. How about if you clean my light fixtures and I scrub your patio furniture? Deal? :D We love our birds too...we started feeding them several years ago and living in the woods, we have tons and many different kinds, along with many squirrels. Our bluebirds have returned this week and hope they will stay and raise their family! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope for you too that your bluebirds will stay, they are such pretty and cheerful little beings. I would love to clean your light fixtures in exchange for my patio furniture being scrubbed! :) Thank you for commenting, it brought a smile to my face!

      Delete
  4. I've always been wary about bird feeders for the same reason. We no longer have cats but there are enough in the neighbourhood to bother the birds. I'm glad you were able to help the birds. It seems to have been a long winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been such a long winter, I can't wait for it to be over. I'm sorry that you still have neighbourhood cats around to pester the birds. Thank you for commenting and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  5. Hi, from the west coast of Canada. I sure enjoy reading your expressive words, as I can see in my mind a picture of what you are saying. Today, I am seeing your birds smiling as they munch on your cereal you gave them. I had a question for you and am wondering if you get hummingbirds in your area. If you do, do you put up a feeder? We have hummingbirds here and I was so surprised that two of the birds stayed here all winter long. We had snow and freezing temperatures so I had to go out and thaw out the nectar a few times during the cold temperatures. All well worth it with the joy they bring me. I think they fly fast enough to avoid cats, at least I hope so! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I only read two blogs, yours and A Joyful Chaos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the warmer months I'll spot a hummingbird or two, but I've never seen any during the winter so I think it must be wonderful to be able to watch the pretty little birds when everything else is still so bleak! Thank you for your kind words and I hope that you have a blessed and wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete

Hi there,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You just made my day!